Search This Blog

Saturday, November 30, 2019

AMDGPU firmware and homebuild kernel

Not sure how it happens in less DIY type distributions, but in Crux I struggled to add firmware of AMDGPU drivers to a initrmfs. Maybe I haven't tried long enough, but without firmware in the initial ramfs, I could not properly start my desktop.

I learnt that drivers are on a disk, in what looked like the right directory (/lib/firmware/amdgpu/). They just were not loaded. After passing a few times the directory name via a CLI option I figured out that the path could be added to the dracut config.

Now, I have following config file on which make rebuilding kernel much easier.

cat /etc/dracut.conf.d/wawrzek.conf
install_items+=/lib/firmware/amdgpu/*

Thanks to that I can simple run command like that to add ramfs to:

mkinitrd /boot/initramfs-5.4.0-1.img 5.4.0

No comments: